I have lost an item from the Law Library. What are my options?


You may:

  • Opt to pay for the replacement charge and processing fee, plus any fines accumulated OR
  • Purchase an acceptable replacement by working with our billing supervisor and pay for the nonrefundable $10 processing fee. Do not bring in a replacement without prior arrangement, as it may not be acceptable.  Email circulation@law.ucla.edu.

If the lost item belongs to other libraries on campus, you would need to contact or stop by the owning library to initiate the replacement process. 


  • Last Updated Aug 31, 2023
  • Views 93
  • Answered By Shangching Huitzacua

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0 0

Contact Us

If you are contacting the Library after hours, please try searching above for a quicker response. If you need research help, our LibGuides may be able to assist you.  Please note: This system is intended for the exclusive use of current UCLA Law Students. If submitting a question below, you may be asked to verify your student status.